Saturday, July 22, 2006

Volcano Country


Saturday, July 22, 2006 ~ Post Falls, Idaho

After nearly two weeks in the pressure cooker of volcano country, it's a relief to find myself in the gentler energy of northern Idaho.

Post Falls is just a few miles west of Coeur d'Alene. And any place with heart ("coeur") as part of its name is bound to be embracing.

I've lived among volcanoes before - on two Hawaiian islands and in Northern Arizona - and am familiar with their transformative energy.

Yet my two weeks in the Cascades was different. Perhaps because I wasn't steeped over time in the energy of a single volcano, but was moving from one to the next in rapid succession.

It began with a night spent sleeping under the stars at the 7,000-foot level of Mount Shasta and concluded yesterday afternoon, as I drove eastward, away from Mount Rainier.

In between I experienced dozens of volcanoes and volcanic remnants in California, Oregon and Washington State.

Like the earthquake energy of the California coast, the volcanoes of the Cascades are filled with the energy of upheaval. Explosive upheaval. Disruption. Displacement.

It was instructive to drive up to Mount St. Helens, for example, and see where the mountainside was blown away by the 1980 eruption and how the Toutle River was forced by volcanic debris to change its course.

It reminded me that an explosive upheaval of volcanic proportions in my own life 21 months ago blew up my status quo and forced the river of my life into new, unimaginable directions.

As well, it was somewhat disturbing yesterday to drive up to Mount Rainer, near Seattle, and sense the fiery force behind its cool, glacial exterior. In fact, each time I looked at the mountain, I clearly saw its flank collapse in an explosion of fire, rock and ash.

Whatever Mount Rainier does in the physical, its message - at least for me - is that disruption and displacement are the norm, and unexpected shifts in direction are to be expected. It confirmed a dream I had a few nights earlier, which promised "a pile of change" and suggested yet more radical evolution.

And, once more, it's a call to live as fully in the moment as I can. For there's no telling what the next moment will bring.

Photo by Mark David Gerson: Mount St. Helens, Washington

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How about the battle in lebonan? Can u talk about it too please and we have to send light energy to the people who are in war..

Anonymous said...

Dear Filiz,

Thanks for your e-mail. It inspired me to create a new newsletter, titled Love Yourself, Heal the World.

Blessings,
Mark David