Thursday, May 04, 2006

Earth Mother


Wednesday, April 26, 2006 ~ Pacific Grove, California

This year’s heavy spring rains have generated an explosion of green in the mountains and valleys of California’s Central Coast. Encountering this verdant lushness last week after four months in the high deserts of the drought-stricken Southwest both revitalized and reinvigorated me.

That luxuriance also enfolded me. As I followed the Cuyama River on State Route 166 through the mountains to Santa Maria, the Earth’s nurturing and protective embrace was total.

At the same time I was struck by how much more fully and freely creation expresses itself here. In the desert, struggle is the hallmark of growth. Here, extravagant fertility holds the promise of easy abundance - in all its forms.

You can view a larger version of this drawing, titled "Earth Mother," or purchase a copy, on my web site.

No comments: