Thursday, January 25, 2007

Write Time, Write Place

Monday, January 8 ~ Ojai, California

I'm sitting outside, my MoonQuest manuscript on my lap, working through my first revision in a few years. This is the energetic recharge that's going to get the book its agent and publisher this year. I know it. However, it's an intense job from which I take frequent breaks.

This break takes me back into the house, to the computer, where I pull up today's online edition of Toronto's Globe and Mail newspaper.

Before I go on, I have to explain something. I have this friend in L.A. I'm not sure how it happened, but one day a while back we rechristened God. We now call that nameless, ineffable energy Fred. It sort of humanizes it, makes it more accessible, forces us not to take it too seriously.

Back to The Globe...

As I'm scrolling through the headlines, one takes my breath away.

Write, said Fred

I'm too stunned to read the article, whose headline is a take-off on the '90s British pop band. Instead, I follow Fred's guidance and return to my manuscript.

Truly, Fred moves in mysterious ways...

No comments: